Before You Begin
- Compatibility: You need at least iOS 14 (operating system version) before installing Covenant Eyes. Refer to Apple's support article to find the iOS version on your device.
- Potential Conflict: If you're using Screen Time (Apple's device controls), "Apps" must be set to 17+ in "Content & Privacy Restrictions." If "Apps" is not set to 17+, then you won't be able to install Covenant Eyes.
- Members with China-based Apple IDs: VPN apps are illegal in China, so Apple removed apps with a VPN, like Covenant Eyes, from the Chinese App Store®. So if your Apple ID is China-based, you won't be able to find or download the Covenant Eyes app from the App Store®.
Install Covenant Eyes
- Open the App Store® on the iPhone® or iPad®.
- In the bottom right-hand corner of the App Store®, tap the magnifying glass that says "Search," and type "Covenant Eyes" into the search bar at the top of the screen.
- Tap "GET" to download our app. (If you installed Covenant Eyes on this device before, you'll see a cloud icon with a downward-pointing arrow. Press the cloud to download Covenant Eyes.)
Downloading Covenant Eyes is free, but your device may prompt you to enter your Apple ID and password to authorize downloading Covenant Eyes. If you forgot your Apple ID or password, refer to Apple Support.
- Tap "OPEN."
- The App Store® will redirect you to the Covenant Eyes app. Sign in with your Covenant Eyes username and password and tap the "SIGN IN" button.
- Tap "Get Started."
- Tap "Allow VPN Configuration" to proceed to the next step.
- Tap "Allow" to enable our VPN. If prompted, enter your iPhone® passcode. You'll see a Nice, the VPN installation was a success! confirmation message.
- Tap "Allow Notifications" so our app can send notifications (don't worry, we won't spam you).
- Tap "Allow."
- You'll see a Now you're cooking – notifications are now turned on! confirmation message.
- Tap "Fix Now."
If you don't see this screen, Background App Refresh is already on for Covenant Eyes! You can skip to step #16.
- Move the "Background App Refresh" toggle switch to the right to turn it on (the switch will turn green).
- Tap "Covenant Eyes" in the top left-hand corner to return to the Covenant Eyes Installer.
- Tap "I've Fixed It, Next Step," and you'll see a Now you're cooking – Background App Refresh is now turned on! confirmation message.
- This screen is only educational, so please skip to the next step.
- Leave the Covenant Eyes app and open the Settings app.
- Since you enabled our VPN a bit ago, we'll bring you to the VPN screen in the Settings app. Tap "Back" in the top left-hand corner. On the VPN & Device Management screen, tap "Back" again.
- On the General screen, tap "Settings" in the top left-hand corner.
- Now scroll down and tap "Safari."
- Tap "Extensions."
- Tap "Covenant Eyes."
- Move the "Covenant Eyes" toggle switch to the right to turn it on (the switch will turn green).
- Tap "All Websites."
- Tap "Allow."
- Now go back to the Covenant Eyes app, scroll down on Now, let's set up the extension screen, and tap "Next."
- Tap "Click here for instructions" to learn about using Screen Time to protect our Safari extension. Tap "Finish Set Up" after you set up Screen Time.
- Tap "Got it" to complete the installation. You'll see a screen that explains how Covenant Eyes works on iPhone® and iPad®. You can now use your device as you usually would, and Covenant Eyes will use our VPN to monitor your apps, and we'll screen-capture your activity in Safari and our browser.